Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Wednesday, February 10, 2021


Review: Royal Rebel

Royal Rebel Royal Rebel by Jenny Frame
My rating: 4 of 5 stars 
Finished on February 10, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Not all addictions are bad. They're only bad if they bring you pain. If you allow yourself to feel what's in your heart, you would only feel happiness...Happiness and pleasure."

3.5/5 rounded up

Normally I adore Jenny Frame’s books and the character’s she writes. The summary of this book was initially what drew me in, and I wanted so much to love it like I’ve loved her other books. However, I just couldn’t.
    
The story itself was mainly good, solid writing with enough time spacing everything out that it didn’t feel rushed. I had two big issues with this book. 

One is Lex’s character. I love her as a person and can even understand her motivations and hesitancy with how she’s been described. My biggest problem with her character is actually tied into my second problem with this book. I don’t think it was necessary to have Gussy and the King die. Maybe just the King or just Gussy but not both of them. It just felt a bit forced and like it was only added to make Lex, once again, go back on her word to support Roza. I could understand most of the previous times where Lex was hesitant and even resistant to the relationship because of her addiction issues. This time however, she left Roza after already telling herself that she wanted to stay by Roza’s side no matter what the King and Gussy thought. This part honestly felt unnecessary. It also didn’t feel satisfactorily developed at the ending, but I honestly think Frame could have fixed that issue by drawing the book out a little longer to allow for more development and conversations to ensue after Roza becomes the Queen. 

Outside of my two biggest issues, I loved this book. I loved the relationship that developed between the two of them as they worked together, and I loved Roza trying to help Lex with her issues. The relationship between the two was slightly annoying at first but it developed into something that felt good. I also liked the side characters quite a bit. Major Ravn is my personal favorite. Also, as someone who doesn’t have personal experience, I liked the way Jenny Frame handled Lex’s addiction. 

In summary, this isn’t my favorite work of Frame’s but if you’re looking for something to occupy your time and you enjoy Frame’s writing, I’d recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...