Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Friday, April 30, 2021


Review: Far from Home

Far from Home Far from Home by Lorelie Brown
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on April 29, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "So many promises over the years. So sad that no one ever manages to back up bragging like that."
"Never? You poor, neglected thing."

I liked this book a lot more than I was ever anticipating. I thought it was amazing and I loved that it was written in a first-person point of view because the author wrote Rachel’s thoughts and feelings so well.
    
Rachel is straight, so why did she just offer to marry Pari to help her get a green card. Rachel has a mountain of student loan debt and Pari is offering to lessen the strain, Rachel just has to live with her and be married to her for two years, maybe a bit longer. Pari wants to stay in the country in order to startup her own business, but the requirements for that are hard. The two inevitably grow closer and Rachel finds herself feeling things that she’s never felt before.

It isn’t hard to like Rachel or Pari. You are stuck in Rachel’s head for the entirety of this book, but it’s not a problem. She’s clearly a nice person who has struggled with various things in her life. She’s determined to ignore her problems and eventually pay back her student loans. A lot of the time she is having internal struggles, but she’s grown used to the idea of pushing them out of her mind and suffering in silence. Pari is so nice. She seems so sweet and caring. She genuinely cares about Rachel and listens to her and wants to know everything she’s willing to tell.

I absolutely loved the last few chapters of this book. It fully faced Rachel’s eating disorder. She was so worried about the relationship and the marriage and Pari’s family and something happens. In doing so it reveals a bridge that had been built between the two women, seemingly without Rachel realizing that it was two-sided. I just loved it. I loved the unwavering love and support. I loved the epilogue and the father’s speech. I just loved it.

I can’t claim to know a lot about whether this is good representation. I am not Indian so I can’t speak to how the characters were shown and topics were addressed. I can’t speak to whether the portrayal of anorexia was correct or well-done. I can give my opinion that I liked the book and that I really enjoyed how the writer wrote Rachel’s struggles with her eating disorder.

This isn’t a long book, it barely brushed 160 pages in paperback format. If you want a nice book that touches on some sensitive topics, grab it. I’m going to have to check out the other two books in the Belladonna Ink series now, and maybe see if she has any more FF stories written.

Bonus Favorite Quote: "If you had been my daughter, you would not have had to pay for college. We love you as a new daughter. Let us do this."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...