Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Tuesday, January 19, 2021


Review: Taking a Shot at Love

Taking a Shot at Love Taking a Shot at Love by K.C. Richardson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars 
Finished on January 19, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Sometimes, what you thought you wanted turns out to be something entirely different. It's okay if your dreams change along the way."


I wanted to like this book more than I did. The idea interested me. A basketball coach and an English professor who initially bond over a basketball player’s struggling grades. It felt like a good setup. 
    
The problem is it just did not live up to it, at least not to me. The writing was solid, and the characters were great, I genuinely enjoyed them.

However, the story just didn’t work. It might be because the drama with Jackie was only occasionally sprinkled in and felt forced at times, especially the part where Celeste didn’t bother to report Jackie’s sexual harassment. That, along with Celeste’s reluctance to get together with a coworker, were the majority of the drama in the story so having one major point not work just felt like wasted material. Even Lisa’s debate about switching to a D1 school was handled quickly and without issue. I like a happy story sure, but I also like for the plot points to actually have a point. 

However, if you want a relatively quick read with good characters and no surprise twists or anything like that, read it. It's not a bad story it just felt like it could have been developed more to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...