Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Sunday, August 15, 2021


Review: Tink and Wendy

Tink and Wendy Tink and Wendy by Kelly Ann Jacobson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Finished on June 30, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "After all, Peter was always cruelest when he least intended it."



3.5/5 rounded down

I didn’t expect this review to be as hard as it is to write but, in all honesty, I’m still not 100% sure how I feel about some parts of this book. The concept for this book was really interesting to me. A book split between the past, the present, and sections from a history book written about Neverland. A queer adaptation of Peter Pan. I was so interested in this book.  I was provided an eARC from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.
    
Tinker Bell is in love with Peter Pan. One day they leave Neverland and wind-up stumbling across the Darlings. Peter is immediately infatuated with Wendy and wants to stay. Years in the future Wendy’s granddaughter comes across Tink living on the Darling’s land and persuades her to tell the story of Wendy. Segments from Never: A History are used to provide additional information about Neverland, Tink, and Peter.

I want to start my review with the parts of this book that I really enjoyed. I really, really liked how Tink bonded with Wendy. They bonded over being the mature ones in the group, but it was clear that there was something lingering between them even if neither was keen to put it into the world. It was cute and wholesome, though I do wish there had been more bonding.

In that same vein, I really liked the interactions between Tink and Hope. Neither of them really wants to rehash their past but they do open up and talk to each other. It was nice and I really enjoyed that they seemed like family by the end of their conversations. Also, they had some of my favorite scenes from the book.

The best thing about this book, to me, was the portrayal of Peter Pan. This wasn’t a kid who was perfect and wholesome. He was a bit of an annoying brat who was prone to jealous temper tantrums. Jacobson wrote Peter Pan exactly how a kid like Peter likely would have ended up. He was self-serving and sometimes malicious, he had to be the best at everything. It was perfect.

I’m not a huge fan of the Neverland book sections. Some of them are interesting, but I found that I skimmed a few of them that weren’t able to hold my attention. I am now very invested in Captain Hook’s story and I kind of wanted him to have a happy ending. I really liked the backstory given to him.

My least favorite part of this book is the ending. This is the part that really took me out of this story and left me trying to figure out my thoughts about this book. I don’t like how the ending with Peter was handled. I’m not positive why it bothered me so much, but I think I have it nailed down. Throughout the entire book I was unable to believe that Wendy was the love of Peter’s life. It always felt like attraction and infatuation, never honest love. I just would have liked it better if Peter had not gone back.

This isn’t a bad book, but I’m not a huge fan of it. There were some typos that made it hard to focus sometimes and some descriptions seemed unnecessary or overly long. It had good points and bad points. I don’t think I’ll ever re-read it, but it’s cute and short if you really just want a queer Peter Pan adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Tour: THE GIRL, THE RING, & THE BASEBALL BAT review

  Book Details Title : The Girl, The Ring, & The Baseball Bat Author : Camille Gomera-Tavarez Publisher : Le...