Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Wednesday, August 18, 2021


Review: The Island Between Us

The Island Between Us The Island Between Us by Wendy Hudson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on August 5, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Listen, I deal with my fear through inappropriate humour. You'll need to get used to it."


This book seemed right up my alley from the first time I read the summary. I love a good adventure in nature story, and I was very intrigued by this summary. I’ve not read a book by Hudson prior, but I probably would read another one by her.
    
Kelsey and Georgia met by chance on a beach in 1999. They meet again almost 20 years later when Kelsey signs up for a two-week survival course that Georgia is leading. She’s been acting her whole life and wants a break and Georgia wants to teach the survival skills she’s used during her life. The two reconnect on the island and try to bond but it gets difficult with a storm rolling in.

I actually really enjoyed the adventure part of this book, both when it was for actual survival and when it was just the course. It felt well-researched and handled. People actually were put in dangerous situations that actually felt dangerous, not situations where you know that they’re going to get out of it fine. The author described the scenery and action well without it feeling overbearing.

I really loved, most, of the characters in this story. Even the characters that I didn’t like still felt realistic. These people had strengths and weaknesses that were allowed to show throughout the story. They had chemistry with each other and many of the conversations felt authentic. No one felt forced into the story just to add additional bodies or drama. My personal favorite is Havana, I just adore her.

The bonding that took place during this story was one of the most fun things to read about. Learning about the survival aspects and how they handled the issues was great, but it was also great just to see the group bond during these extreme circumstances. It was fun even when it wasn’t all lighthearted. By the end of it everyone seemed to have gone through a change.

I only really had a couple of small issues while reading this book. It took me a bit to figure out who everyone was because most of them were introduced at once. I got used to it, but it did take a bit. My other issue was that I wish there had been more chapters before the epilogue to help the relationship feel fully developed.

I don't have a whole lot to say about this because I really enjoyed it. It was a well-done adventure story that kept me hooked once it hit its stride. I love adventure books, but I tend to forget about it at times. Thanks to Hudson for reminding me why I love these books.

Bonus Favorite Quote: "It's been so lovely watching you two hit it off. It's given the rest of us something to talk about other than whether we're going to die out here or not."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Tour: DEADENDIA: THE DIVINE ORDER review + favorite quotes

Thank you so much to TBR and Beyond Tours for allowing me to take part in this tour for Deadendia: The Divine Order. I have watched the ...