Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Saturday, April 10, 2021


Review: Lethal Affairs

Lethal Affairs Lethal Affairs by Kim Baldwin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on April 8, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "You've never broken a promise?"
"No, never. I've never promised anything to anyone."

4.5/5 rounded up

I enjoyed this book more than I had ever expected to. I love Kim Baldwin’s writings, but I’ve been avoiding this book because I don’t always like action books. This book impressed me and managed to keep me engaged the entire time I was reading it.
    
Luca, aka Domino, is an elite operative with the EOO and she’s very good at her job. She’s used to ignoring her feelings and getting comfortable in a crowd in order to complete her missions. She is set up with her newest target, a reporter named Hayley, after a threat to her identity is picked up by the agency. Hayley is a journalist who mainly writes some of the smaller pieces, but she really wants to break out into serious, investigative journalism. When she’s sent a tape by a “mysterious benefactor”, she thinks she’s finally got the lead she needs.

I really liked both characters and I didn’t expect that. I was worried that Luca would be similar to Natalya from Requiem for Immortals and I didn’t like her. However, Luca was very likeable. She’s hard because she has to be to do her job but she’s also softer than expected. She’s a paint restorer who likes to be out on the ocean. I just really liked her. Hayley is driven to make the most of this opportunity and she’s smart enough to find the information she needs. The two of them together is sexy and powerful and it’s a pleasure to read.

The main characters were also joined but several side characters, many of whom I really liked. I’m excited to read Mishael’s book but I also really wouldn’t have minded a book about Blade. Outside of Mishael, I really liked at least two of the three people running the EOO.

The only real issue I have with this book was towards the end. I’m putting it behind a spoiler tag but it’s basically when Hayley realizes that things aren’t going well. I thought Hayley seemed stupid at the hotel. It felt unnecessary and out of character for her to not only answer the phone when she thinks someone is hunting her down but to also give her address to them. It felt a bit like a contrived way to get Luca and Hayley back together with Luca’s identity known.

I found this to be a really enjoyable read with nice action and an intriguing plotline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...