Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Friday, February 5, 2021


Review: Who'd Have Thought

Who'd Have Thought Who'd Have Thought by G. Benson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on February 5, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Hayden, some people help with time. Some with time invested to make money. One isn't worth more when you consider what each provides."

It took me a little bit to really get into the story and the characters but once I did, I was hooked. 
    
I want to start off by saying that I love Sam and how she was presented. I’m somebody who has issues with reading social cues and such and seeing how Sam was portrayed was amazing. She seemed cold to people but others who spent more time with her understand that it was just a byproduct of her hyper-focus and awkwardness in social situations. 

I’m also a complete sucked for a good fake-dating story and this one surpassed by expectations. Sam and Hayden’s relationship felt well-developed and I enjoyed that the author didn’t shy away from mentioning awkward situations that would arise in their plot.

Also, I liked what we saw from the side characters. Luce is fun and Jon seems nice. (Note: I actually quite enjoy that the author included Luce as a nonb
inary character. It was nice to read about.) 

I enjoyed the way the storyline developed and the drama that was added in. Nothing felt really forced or like it came out of nowhere. I love the way the author portrayed Sam and Sam’s family. While her parents are horribly homophobic, she still held out hope. Sam hoped that they would change when they realized that they were losing both of their children and it hurt her when they didn’t. The parents may have felt a bit like a caricature of homophobic parents, but these people still exist so it’s not exactly unrealistic.

I loved this book, and I was very happy by the way it ended. Part of me wishes I could have read the book from Sam’s point of view as well. It would have been nice to see when her feelings started to change as well.

Bonus Favorite Quote: "Look at all the shits I do not give! Alas, my non-binary field of shits is barren."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...