Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Saturday, February 6, 2021


Review: A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend

A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend by Emily Horner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars 
Finished on February 6, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Poems are not for explaining...They are for pretty girls to read aloud."

I don’t always like to read books aimed at teenagers and preteens; I just prefer books for adults. However, as part of a reading challenge I am participating in I was asked to re-read a favorite. I decided on this book. It’s not an all-time favorite but it was one of my first books about a lesbian relationship and it’s held a special place in my heart because of it. 

This book is good.
    
I’m not huge on relationships built between a past bully and their past victim, but I enjoyed how Horner wrote the relationship between the two. She acknowledged Heather’s bullying for what it was, a scared child trying to avoid having the finger pointed at her. There’s no excuse for the behavior but it’s at least acknowledged that there were other circumstances in play. 

I loved how the book would switch between the current time, where they were trying to put on the play, and the past, where she was trying to road trip on her bike to California. I can understand why some readers wouldn't enjoy that part but I didn't mind it too much. The biking trip is admittedly a bit unrealistic because it’s hard to believe that an underage girl, alone on the road, didn’t run into more issues. She only seemed to run into nice people, no one that wanted to take advantage of her precarious situation. 

The book was well-written, and the author did a good job at conveying Cass’s emotions, especially as she dealt with the loss of her best friend and the possibility that she had more-than-friendly feelings towards her. 

In the end, I quite enjoy this book. It’s a good read if you want a nice story with some romance added into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...