Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Saturday, February 6, 2021


Review: Out on the Ice

Out on the Ice Out on the Ice by Kelly Farmer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars 
Finished on February 6, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Being the redheaded stepchild on the queer spectrum isn't a real picnic."



I quite enjoyed this book. It’s not my absolute favorite but it’s well-written book with likeable characters. For a debut novel this is great, and I hope to read more by Farmer as she releases more of her work.
    
I will start with my biggest issue during the book and that is the texting and social media parts. I’m not against it being included, especially in this day and age, I just wish it had been clearer to me what was a text message/social media post and what was normal writing. It might have just been how I was reading it, but I don’t know. It would have been better if the texts/messages had been italicized to separate it. 

My biggest compliment about the book is the characters. I instantly adored both of the main characters, and Doug of course, even with all their faults. I was also impressed by the fact that the author didn’t shy away from the touchier topics she wrote about. Bi erasure, dealing with homophobic family members, depression, it was all handled nicely by the author. I was a bit concerned about Caro’s need to be accepted by her homophobic family and was thrilled that by the end of it she had agreed to be there for her nephews and sister-in-law but that was it. I also love that she was finally able to get her found family. I didn’t like MaryBeth turning against her at the end when she was outed. I would actually like to read more about MaryBeth and the nephews maybe getting away from Caro’s alcoholic brother.

The drama in this book was, thankfully for my preferences, relatively minimal and all towards the end. The drama also made perfect sense with the characters and was built up well by the author. You could understand why Caro made the decisions she did and why she felt the way she did. You got why Amy reacted the way she did. It felt authentic. There wasn’t a lot of time at the end for the two to talk over their problems, but it had been problems they had previously discussed as well so it felt less like ignoring the problem and more like they were going to work on the problems as they went. 

It’s a solid story with great characters and I would recommend it to anyone who just wants a sweet romance between two (one former) hockey players.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...