Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Sunday, January 24, 2021


Review: The Holiday Treatment

The Holiday Treatment The Holiday Treatment by Elle Spencer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars 
Finished on January 24, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: The Hawaii section of the book



2.5/5 rounded down

I felt very let down by this book. The idea of the book intrigued me. Two people who spend a night together and want to stay together but a predicament forces them apart. They agree to work together on a lesbian movie pitch and fuel their pitch with the fire they have for each other. This book wasn’t what I was expecting from that summary.
    
The Hawaii situation, and previous events, took up almost half the book. While it was arguably the best part of the book it was also the part that intrigued me least about the summary. I didn’t care as much how they got together and what forced them apart, rather I wanted to read about the two of them having tension with each other and not being able to do anything about that, which is what the summary led me to believe part of the book would be about. We barely got that.  There were some chapters devoted to the two wanting to be together but being unable to but then they decided on a secret love affair. Then we skip six months into the future, Meredith lets Holly down, they break up, Holly goes home, Meredith comes to win her back, they get back together, and then the epilogue has their lesbian movie air and the two get engaged.

The second half of the book felt dreary and boring. I forced myself to read it simply because I don’t like leaving books unfinished. Then everything just seemed to happen. The drama felt forced and even a bit out-of-character, Meredith seemed interested in producing a lesbian Christmas movie but then wanted it turned straight because of how good it was (because companies wouldn't want to produce that or something like that). There was little to no discussion between the two when they decided to get back together which there probably should have been if Holly had been willing to leave Meredith because of their disagreement (not that I blame her to be fair) and if Meredith was so willing to throw away Holly’s dream because they had to appease the viewers.

If you want a book where the characters meet on holiday, have a good time together, go back home, have a few disagreements about things, and eventually get back together than go for it. I wouldn't recommend it but that doesn't mean it's bad writing or that someone else wouldn't enjoy it.


This book let me down and I kind of wish someone would give me the opposite. Give me a book that actually focuses on the two of them trying to get a lesbian movie off the ground while fighting against their desire for each other (kind of like Changing the Script but where both work in the movie industry together, even Breaking Character kind of fits the bill better).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...