Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Saturday, January 23, 2021


Review: Fire & Ice

Fire & Ice Fire & Ice by Rachel Spangler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars 
Finished on January 23, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "If Max is someone who goes after what she wants, I have to conclude she doesn't really want me."


I really enjoyed this book. I was originally skeptical about reading it and didn’t intend to, but I eventually picked it up to fulfill the journalist/reporter category in a challenge. I fell in love with the story. 
    
I didn’t like Max having had an affair, but I loved how they developed the story when she explained it to Callie where it made some sense that she would have reacted the way she did. One issue I had is that I don’t think they ever quite explained why Callie didn’t try out for the Olympic team. It might have been kind of glossed over and I missed it, but I would have loved to know why someone so driven wouldn’t have tried. 

I loved watching the romance between the two. It was nice watching Max have to own up to the fact that she was not acting professionally when reporting about curling and then watching her, and subsequently her relationship with Callie, evolve as she learned more and more about the sport, team, and community. The relationship felt authentic and the drama did as well. The story was sweet with likeable characters, a unique topic (curling), and well-developed drama and situations. 

I'm also a big fan of stories where one person spends time in a slower environment and realizes that the fast-paced life may no longer be right for them. That’s an interesting theme and I enjoy reading about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...