Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Monday, January 25, 2021


Review: Up on the Roof

Up on the Roof Up on the Roof by A.L. Brooks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars 
Finished on January 25, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "One night of incredible sex didn't fix all of that, but it certainly had been a rather lovely start."


4.5/5 rounded up

The reviews for this book seem to be all over the place. Personally, I loved it. 

I probably would have given it a 5/5 instead of a 4.5/5 if the beginning part didn’t feel like it dragged on to me. 
    
This book was kind of exactly what I was expecting and better than I had hoped. I enjoyed the way the relationship developed between the two of them, especially with Lena being called out by her sister for some of her behaviors in regard to Megan (and others). I enjoyed the side characters, although I do kind of now want a story about the relationship between Alisha and Jen, and they didn’t feel too forced into the story. 

I especially loved Brooks way of portraying Lena’s character. At no point did she try to make her out to be a flawless human being, rather she gave reason to the flaws. On one site I saw a review that mentioned that her insecurities made sense if she was a teenager and not an adult and that review made no sense to me. Insecurities, OCD, anxiety, there aren’t age limits to these things and I liked how Brooks portrayed them. It made sense for Lena to have doubts and worries, especially because of her parents and her ex. It also made sense that Megan wouldn’t have these exact same insecurities but would rather have insecurities that came with being raised with all brothers and having the nickname Lumpy from her family. 

I also like that the author didn’t try to portray their first-time having sex as a flawless act, rather it was stopped when one of the characters grew uncomfortable. The author also acknowledged that a person’s insecurities don’t just go away because they happened to meet someone and sleep with someone that they feel comfortable with. 

The characters in this book felt real to me and I enjoyed that immensely. They felt like characters I could meet in real life and the situation that brought them together felt realistic (as realistic as offering a place to stay for a near-stranger can be). I thought the book was well-written and well-developed. I will admit that the cat on the cover of the book really doesn’t make sense though, there was a cat but only for a short while.

I would recommend this book if you want some realism in your sapphic love stories. It's a good read with realistic characters and concerns and I enjoyed it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...