Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Monday, September 27, 2021


Review: For Today I Am A Boy by Kim Fu

 


Title: For Today I Am a Boy
Author: Kim Fu
Publication Date: January 14, 2014
    

Finish Date: September 1, 2021
Format: Physical
Rating: 3.5/5 stars


Favorite Quote/Scene: 
Halloween

Review: 
I’ve owned this book for years and just never got around to reading it. I finally did and I’m still unsure of my feelings about it. I will warn everyone that there is wrong pronoun usage and such because of what the book is. I will be referring to the character as Huang and trying to avoid pronouns.

The writing is good. It gives the character a realistic voice and allows for subtle character exploration from the point of view of the main character. The character’s emotions felt realistic, and you could truly feel the struggle that Huang was going through.

I liked the characters in this book. Huang is a very sympathetic character, and you could truly feel and understand the problems the character was going through. Huang’s older sister was amazing, and I loved her. Huang’s other sisters were interesting, and I found myself fascinated by the variety of personalities that came out through these siblings. Even the side characters were interesting. They were also identifiable. I only had trouble remembering a couple of characters.

I have one main issue with this book and it’s definitely a personal one. This book just had moments that made me uncomfortable. I’m going to expand on that so skip the rest of this paragraph if you don’t want to know. At one point Huang describes a friend, when they were kids, grabbing a girl and making her strip in front of them. There’s another where Huang describes a picture of Huang’s sister when she’s younger as making men think inappropriate thoughts. I don’t know if the only purpose of these scenes were to make me uncomfortable, but they did.

I don’t know if I’ll ever reread this book. I might just to try and figure out how I feel about it. The book wasn’t bad, but I don’t think I’d classify it as good either. It was definitely an interesting read, and I don’t regret reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Tour: THE GIRL IN QUESTION review + favorite quotes

Thank you so much to TBR and Beyond Tours for allowing me to take part in this tour for The Girl in Question. I've been interested in ...