Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Thursday, August 12, 2021


Review: Frankie & Bug

Frankie & Bug Frankie & Bug by Gayle Forman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Finished on August 5, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Little strange to send Frankie out to see Phillip, in Venice, to get it out of his system."


4.25/5 rounded down

I was granted an eARC of this book on behalf of the publisher in exchange for a fair, honest review. I really like middle-grade books that feature LGBTQ+ characters, so I really wanted to read this book and see where it went.
    
This book takes place in 1987 and stars Bug. Bug is a 10-year-old girl who lives on Venice Beach with her mother and her older brother. She loves to spend her summer on the beach with her brother, but this year plans change. When her brother wants some space, she assumes that her summer is going to be spent alone at home. Frankie comes to stay the summer with his uncle, Bug’s upstairs neighbor, and the two spend time together. It’s a rough road, but can they make it work?

Gayle Forman did a good job at writing Bug. Bug is in a place in her life where she’s a bit rough around the edges and full of herself. She’s 10, that’s just how many kids are. During this book you get to watch as Bug develops her mentality and learns about the community around her. She learns that not everything revolves around her and that there are some things people don’t want to tell her.

The emotion that went into this book was unexpected and just wrecked me at times. I didn’t know this book took place in 1987 with all the things that come with living in 1987 so I was unable to prepare myself. This book got to me at points, especially when it came to Bug learning about the hate around her. It was well-written and managed to make me invested in how the relationships and characters would play out.

This story was beautiful even when it managed to break my heart. I just felt invested in these characters lives and their happiness, that it hurt when they got hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Tour: DEADENDIA: THE DIVINE ORDER review + favorite quotes

Thank you so much to TBR and Beyond Tours for allowing me to take part in this tour for Deadendia: The Divine Order. I have watched the ...