Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Sunday, April 25, 2021


Review: Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me

Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me by Mariko Tamaki
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on April 25, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "It could be worse."
"How?"
"You don't have to battle to the death with anyone."

I now understand why this book seemed to be mentioned/visible on everyone’s bookshelves when they were discussing LGBTQ+ books. This is a graphic novel that, in hardcover form, is just short of 300 pages and I loved every second of it.

This book deals with Freddy who keeps being dumped by Laura Dean, a popular girl in her school. This book, with certain areas written like she’s writing to an advice column, deals with a toxic relationship occurring in high school. There is good representation in this book and I loved the side characters.

I found Freddy harder to like at times. I understand the realism of her being neglectful to her friends while wrapped up in Laura Dean and her drama, but it sucked to read about. I do like that she got better and even acknowledged that she had been a shitty friend after getting called out for it. Doodle is easily my favorite character. Everything about her seems so sweet and genuine.

The artwork in this novel was gorgeous. I wish I knew more about art styles and such to know whether there was a meaning to the sudden pink that was added to panels and things like that, but I don’t. I know that it was gorgeous.

I also really like how this book handled the situation of Freddy and Laura Dean. The advice columnist person gave advice that acknowledged that you don’t always break up with someone because you don’t love them anymore, but rather because the nature of the love isn’t what’s best for you (or any person involved in the relationship for that matter). I think it’s important to get that out there, especially in a book written for young adults.

I really enjoyed this book and part of me would really like a sequel or something that focuses on Doodle. Unlikely, but I quite enjoyed these characters and would like to read more about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...