Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Friday, March 5, 2021


Review: One Day You'll Leave Me

One Day You'll Leave Me One Day You'll Leave Me by Debra Flores
My rating: 5 of 5 stars 
Finished on March 5, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "If you traveled back in time and had to do without modern conveniences, which one would you miss the most? The answer is central air. Screw the internet."


This book surpassed any expectation I had for it. Debra Flores wrote an amazing book that still managed to shock me even as I was nearing the end parts of the book. By the fifth chapter, maybe earlier, I didn’t want to put the book down. It was amazing and I adored how Flores played the time travel aspect of the story.
    
Karen was at lunch one day during work when she heard a song that, for some unknown reason, left her obsessed. She needed to know more about the woman who sang the song. A short while after she gets the chance to meet the singer but to do so she has to go back to 1964. There she becomes someone else and experiences a new life, one that includes Judith Paige, the singer.

I don’t think I can overstate how much I love this book. The characters were compelling, and I was dragged along through the story just to get more time with them. I would have loved to have the story be longer, but the story is amazing as it is. Judith and Evelyn (Karen in 1964) are amazing characters who have such a sweet relationship and good chemistry. It’s amazing to read about and I want more about their relationship. More snippets about them being together. A novella of snippets of the two of them growing old together. Even the side characters are interesting enough where I just want to know more about them.

I was worried about the time travel aspect of the story solely because it took place in the 60s and 70s. I was worried about a lot of racism and homophobia and things like that. They are there but there often in the background or lightly brushed over. The ideas aren’t ignored but since both characters are white and mainly surrounded with allies, they aren’t pivotal to the story. There also wasn’t a lot of issues with the two of them getting together in terms of it being the 60s and homosexuality not being allowed, which I am grateful for. I might not have made it through the book if that had occurred.

This book is excellent, and I highly recommend it to people who don’t mind time travel or first-person stories. I’d even recommend it to people who do mind those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...