Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Saturday, February 13, 2021


Review: Playing the Spy

Playing the Spy Playing the Spy by Maggie Brown
My rating: 2 of 5 stars 
Finished on February 13, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "I'm like a thirsty traveller in the desert who has found water."



I really wanted to like this book. I did. But I only ended up liking maybe 50% of the book, and that might be a stretch.

The idea was interesting, but it didn’t really feel like it was followed through during parts of the story. There just seemed to be entire sections where Sophie seemed to forget that she was a reporter there to get information on Eleanor. 
    
I liked the beginning of this book. It was nice and I genuinely liked the chemistry between the two characters. However, eventually there became too much back and forth for me to truly get invested in it. Something would happen, someone would say it was a bad idea and pull back, something else would happen, someone would misinterpret something. It just got to be too much for me. 

I have a big issue with the dialogue after Sophie was outed as a reported and Austen came over to Eleanor’s. Austen seems shocked and annoyed that Eleanor’s instinct was to tell Sophie to go away. If you had managed to fall in love with someone, or even just thinking you can trust someone, and it turned out that they had been sent to spy on you, would you have handled it well? Sure, she didn’t choose this assignment and sure she wasn’t planning on writing the article but that’s not the point. She lied to Eleanor for well over a month, Eleanor had every right to be pissed. Even Eleanor eventually seems sure that Sophie won’t publish the article and that if Sophie did then Eleanor deserved it because, in her words, “through my failure to forgive, I’ve lost the woman I adore and that’s infinitely worse.” 

If you want a decent read, go for it. Personally though, it’s not going to be a book I recommend to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...