Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Thursday, February 25, 2021


Review: Five Moons Rising

Five Moons Rising Five Moons Rising by Lise MacTague
My rating: 4 of 5 stars 
Finished on February 25, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Maybe we can pretend things are different. And if we pretend long enough, maybe one day we'll realize we aren't pretending anymore."

This book was better than I had expected it to be.
    
The absolute best thing about this book, to me, was the world that MacTague built. A world of supras that included wolvens and vampires and the way they interacted as well as super-soldier type agents sent in when someone misbehaves. The common world isn’t aware of the existence of supras and the agents are there to make sure that they don’t become aware. The world felt so good and well built. Some of the explanations and descriptions seemed to drag on a bit but I enjoyed the aspects that went into crafting the world of this book.

I really enjoyed the main characters. Ruri the refugee beta and Malice the Hunter were amazing characters. Both characters were badass but not to the point of having no weaknesses. I adore how dedicated Malice was to making sure that her sister was okay. She was even willing to kill another agent to make sure that nothing about Ruri and Cassidy made it to the heads of the agency. I was a bit pissed about the fact that it seems like the two sisters just aren’t really going to interact with each other anymore. I felt so bad for Ruri right after she lost her pack because the author wrote her struggles well.

I couldn’t really enjoy any of the side characters. I found myself not liking Cassidy (the main side character) and the other side characters just didn’t work for me. I especially didn’t like Stiletto. 

The action in this book was amazing. I loved the fights that took place and the way they were handled. The author also had the characters acknowledge the pains of current and past wounds during a fight even if the wounds didn’t stop them from fighting. 

I wish there had been more romance in the story. I wish an actual relationship had been given time to develop between Ruri and Malice. Ruri’s wolf decided Malice was her mate, they slept together once, they ended up together, but there wasn’t much in terms of an actual romance. It’s mainly an urban fantasy action book with a bit of romance added in. There is attraction but not much in terms of a relationship.

This was an enjoyable book to kill a few hours, but I doubt I’ll read the second book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...