Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Friday, March 15, 2024


Book Tour: THE GIRL, THE RING, & THE BASEBALL BAT review

 


Book Details

Title: The Girl, The Ring, & The Baseball Bat
Author: Camille Gomera-Tavarez
Publisher: Levine Querido
Publication Date: February 6, 2024
Genre(s): Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 390


Rating: 3

Review: 
Thank you so much to Hear Our Voices tour for allowing me to take part in the tour for this book. If you want to check out the tour schedule and follow the other hosts, you can click the banner at the top or click here.

I'm not too sure what it was that drew me to this book, but something compelled me to read it. It was hard at first because I struggled a lot to get into the book. I don't know if the writing didn't click with me or if it was because I just wasn't in the mood for a book like this at the time. Either way it was a struggle for a while. Eventually I did find a rhythm and I began to enjoy the writing style of the author, if nothing else.

Our main characters in this book are Rosie, Caro, and Zeke. I quite enjoyed them as characters. They all felt well-developed and authentic. They felt like people you would expect to meet in real life, in good and bad ways. Even though this book has some magical aspects of it, the characters and plots never felt out-of-place or like it was trying to be something that it wasn't. It wasn't trying to be a full-fledged fantasy book, it was just a contemporary book with some magic in it.

I always try to be honest in my reviews, even when I'm taking part in a tour. That said, this book was kinda just "eh" to me. It wasn't a bad book, there were several parts of it that I found myself really enjoying. But there were also parts of it that I didn't enjoy. I also struggled with the voices at times because it was just...not something I always enjoy in a book. It's hit-or-miss and this time it just happened to be a miss. I was also a bit taken aback by the cursing in the book. Cursing isn't something I'm against, I've got a mouth like a sailor at times, but it's also not something I often see used in excess in books. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Tour: DEADENDIA: THE DIVINE ORDER review + favorite quotes

Thank you so much to TBR and Beyond Tours for allowing me to take part in this tour for Deadendia: The Divine Order. I have watched the ...