Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Wednesday, April 26, 2023


Interview with L. Dreamer, author of CRUSH

 



I am beyond thrilled to be able to introduce my interview with L. Dreamer to you all today! L. Dreamer is the author of several books including the book Crush, a romance set in a vineyard that stars a trans man and a cis woman. I read the book and absolutely loved it!!

In this interview we talked about how he got started with writing, what it was like releasing the final book in his Hearts series, and the research that he did for Crush.
     

How did you first get started with writing?
My sixth grade teacher suggested I start journaling after going through some tough times. Getting my feelings down evolved into writing stories.

Ooh yes! Journaling is always a solid idea and I can definitely see how it could lead naturally into writing stories.
What was the publication process like for you?
I did submit to two publishers. Both times I was rejected. Around that time I found a great writing group comprised mostly of self-published authors. They showed me the ropes! They taught me how to format my book, upload it to Amazon, start a newsletter, a website. They were invaluable!

I'm glad that you didn't let the rejections stop you from getting your books out into the world. I'm also really glad you found that group! I can just imagine how invaluable their support and advice was.
Do you have a set writing process?
I do not. I wish I did! I just sit down when I’m feeling inspired. Then I make a deadline and lock it in with my editor when I’m about 75% done with a book and then it’s a mad dash!

Solid! I mean it's worked for you so far.
Okay, I absolutely loved Crush and I loved that it took place in a vineyard. But why did you choose to have it take place there?
Wineries are romantic! Funny fact, I’m actually allergic to wine!

Fair enough reason! Also, I had a good chuckle at you being allergic to wine but writing a book in a vineyard. It amuses me.
How much research went into this book?
I went to a town near me that has a bunch of wineries. Toured a few. As soon as they hear you are writing a book, they open all kinds of doors! One winery employee even told a great way to kill someone in the fermentation room and not get caught!

Ooh, I know it's research but that also sounds like a fun time. Love that worker though, they've got the information anyone might need haha.
Was there a specific reason that you wrote this book when you did?
Even before I transitioned, it always bummed me out that there weren’t very many trans man/cis woman romance books. Once I began transitioning I got inspired to write one!

That's sadly very true! It's kind of an untapped market. I'm really glad you wrote this book.
You just recently released the final book in your Hearts series. What was that like? Was that series originally intended to be a series or did it take on a life of its own?
The series was actually a Wynonna Earp fanfic and it did have three parts to it. The final book was very different from the fanfic though. I wanted the readers to be able to peek into their lives decades down the road. I loved writing Thomas and Rachel and all of the other characters. Charlotte will go down as one of my favorites to write for sure. It was bittersweet when I finished writing, but I’ve been so touched by all the positive feedback I’ve received!

That's amazing! I'm super impressed that something that started as a fanfiction grew to be a 3 book series.
Do you have any other books in the works right now?
Slowly working on the second book in my The One series.

Nice!
What are some of your favorite queer books that you’d recommend to people? Any that you’d recommend for people that loved Crush? That second question might just be me digging for recommendations.
Haha, well, I haven’t done a lot of reading lately, but I can recommend a few. Ana Hartnett Reichardt’s Alder Series is great. I read everything Cari Hunter puts out. Carolyn Elizabeth’s Gallows Humor is such fun. If you’re looking for trans man/cis woman romance, Anna Zabo’s Reverb is a good read.

Adding all of those authors and books to my TBR as we speak. I'm always looking for more recommendations!
Thank you so much for joining me today for this interview with L. Dreamer! Make sure to check out his socials and his books using the links below! If you've already read Crush, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
If you like what I do, consider giving me a follow on social media or donating to my Ko-fi. Thank you for reading!!


You can find L. Dreamer on his website, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok.

You can buy L. Dreamer's books using links on his author website. They are available to purchase through Amazon.

If you can't buy his books but you still want to read them, consider requesting them to your local library or suggesting them on Overdrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...