Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Sunday, January 23, 2022


Review: OF WULF AND WYND, PART 1 by Lexa Luthor

 


Book Details

Title: Of Wulf and Wynd, Part 1: The Vows of Marriage
Author: Lexa Luthor
Publisher: Luthor Publishing
Publication Date: Currently Unknown
Genre(s): Adult, LGBT, Fantasy, Omegaverse, Romance(?)
Pages: 260
     

Reading Details

Finish Date: January 19, 2022
Format: Digital
Representation: Lesbian
Trigger/Content Warnings: Violence, blood, mentions of death, bullying (about Tharon being a female Alpha)


Rating: 4.5/5

Favorite Quote/Scene: 
"You do not need to fix us for us to work."

Review: 
I was stunned when I learned that there were Omegaverse stories that weren't fanfiction. It's one of my favorite types of fanfictions to read, so I was curious. I was introduced to Lexa Luthor. Luckily, I was granted access to an eARC of Of Wulf and Wynd.

This book went beyond my expectations. It has great characters that I can't wait to read more about, it's layered with intrigue, and it's such a slow-burn it's not even funny. It was a captivating read and I found that I was constantly reading beyond where I meant to stop.

Normally I don't like books that feel like they take forever to get to the point. With this book, it didn't really bother me. I don't know if it's because I was interested in these characters and their situations, if it's because I was aware from the beginning that this was a series, or if it's the two combined. This book takes place over a month and a half or so (at least if I'm reading the calendar right). That's spread out over approximately 260 pages. But the pages never felt wasted. None of it felt like dragging on for the sake of adding pages or words to the story. Everything felt intentional. The pages were used to develop the characters, explore the past, establish previous relationships. It was purposeful, maybe that's why it didn't bother me.

The characters in this book are an interesting topic to talk about. I'm doing my absolute best to avoid spoilers. Our main two characters are Roswynd and Tharon. Both of them are compelling characters. I don't know if I can say that I like Tharon, she's a bit intense, but I didn't dislike her. It's more of a wary acceptance and understanding. I do hope to spend more time with her to truly understand how she got to this point in her life. Roswynd is a bit easier to like and understand. I found her quite endearing. She was shy, but not subservient (not sure if that's the right word I'm looking for here).

The most interesting and complex thing, at least to me, is the relationship between Roswynd and Tharon. They used to be friends and now they are enemies. It adds a very interesting dynamic. I actually really enjoyed their interactions with each other, even when things were rough. It was always clear that there were internal battles going on in each of the characters between loving, liking, hating, and needing the other. Even more depth is added when their Alpha and Omega try to nudge them in certain directions.

The only thing that I didn’t really enjoy is that after a while the descriptions became a bit overwhelming for me. It’s definitely a personal thing, especially since I can’t really visualize what I’m reading, but it just meant that it took me longer to read this than I had originally anticipated.

The only thing that I didn’t really enjoy is that after a while the descriptions became a bit overwhelming for me. It’s definitely a personal thing, especially since I can’t really visualize what I’m reading, but it just meant that it took me longer to read this than I had originally anticipated.





Disclaimer: I am a bookshop.org affiliate and may earn a commision on books bought using the link on my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Tour: THE GIRL, THE RING, & THE BASEBALL BAT review

  Book Details Title : The Girl, The Ring, & The Baseball Bat Author : Camille Gomera-Tavarez Publisher : Le...