Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Sunday, October 24, 2021


Review: Built to Last by Aurora Rey

 


Title: Built to Last
Author: Aurora Rey
Publication Date: April 12, 2016
     

Finish Date: September 17, 2021
Format: Digital
Rating: 4.75/5


Favorite Quote/Scene: 
"I'm going to worship you, and it's going to take a while."

Review: 
This book is one that I might consider a comfort read for the most part. I've read it about 5 times in the past year because I just love it. A constructor and a professor who bought a new farmhouse that needs to be renovated, just what I like.

I loved these characters for the most part. I adored Joss through the entire book, even when she was being unyielding and standoffish. Olivia was a bit harder to like, but even then, I kind of understood why she was being the way she was. Even the side characters were great and interesting.

Joss and Olivia had a really nice chemistry with each other. I personally loved that Olivia enjoyed being a bit "traditional" appearing at times and Joss viewed her as a pinup girl (in the best way of course). As much as I love butch-for-butch stories, I do love a very traditional butch/femme pairing. It's just nice. They didn't instantly get on, but they also got to talk through their issues with each other and came out stronger.for the most part.

So I keep mentioning "for the most part". That comes down to a plot point, a couple actually, that I didn't really enjoy. Spoilers ahead! Olivia being reported for acting inappropriate with a student and Olivia changing her behavior because her parents were coming to dinner. The first didn't feel necessary since it really only added a bit to the story. I get that it was meant to add stress to the relationship, but I feel like the second point could have done that without the first having happened. The second could have worked, but it left me with a bitter feeling towards Olivia during that time. She was completely changing everything because of her parents. I get it, it's a thing, but I didn't like the way Olivia behaved during that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...