Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Sunday, October 17, 2021


Book Tour: THE WATCH DOG by Sandy Lo Review

 


Title: The Watch Dog
Author: Sandy Lo
Publication Date: November 13, 2012
     

Finish Date: October 5, 2021
Format: Physical
Rating: 4/5


Favorite Quote/Scene: 
The family, and friends, holiday dinner

Review: 
I was granted a copy of this book as part of a tour. I was very excited because the summary seemed interesting.

I can fully say that I didn't know what to expect from this book when I initially requested it. I figured there was going to be some religious elements (there was) and there was going to be a change of character for the main guy (there was). There were also a couple of other things that I figured might happen, but nothing too big. The book was pretty solid. There was only one thing that kind of bothered me and even that wasn't enough to ruin the book for me.

The characters in this book were great. They all felt real, even if we didn't spend much time with them, and they fit into the story (and together) very well. Rett's brother is probably my favorite side character with the exception of Cori. Both were interesting characters. I wish we had spent more time with the brother, but he wasn't the main focus, so I understand why we didn't. I did think that a couple of the characters felt a bit stereotypical, but it was sadly realistic.

One of the things that I thought was the most interesting about this book, and the thing that attracted me to the book in the first place, is Rett's character. Rett isn't a perfect character, far from it in fact. I don't often get to read a book with a character who starts off so unlikeable. He started off as an asshole, no better word to describe him, that is forced to move back home after certain circumstances. He changes while at home, don't they always, and it's quite believable. You can see the softening of his character and it also helps that he doesn't behave like a switch has been flipped. He doesn't go from horrible to great in the span of one night. He's still tempted even when he's trying to be better.

This leads to my only real issue with this book. This is a book that I think could have benefited from time skips. The character does begin to act better, but I think the whole book only took place over a few (like 3 or 4) months. I think some time jumps would have allowed the character to feel more like he had to actually work on improving his behavior and attitude. It's clear there was a change in him, I just think the change felt a bit surface level at times. It also would have made Rett sticking up for his brother, and shaming their mom, feel more earned and honest.

This was a really solid read! I never really had an issue keeping focus with this book and I was very intrigued by the main character.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Tour: DEADENDIA: THE DIVINE ORDER review + favorite quotes

Thank you so much to TBR and Beyond Tours for allowing me to take part in this tour for Deadendia: The Divine Order. I have watched the ...