Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Friday, September 10, 2021


Review: Calculated Risk by Katherine Rupley

 


Title: Calculated Risk
Author: Katherine Rupley
Publication Date: 9/16/2021
    

Finish Date: 9/10/2021
Format: Digital
Rating: 3.5/5 stars


Favorite Quote/Scene: 
The first trip to Joshua Tree

Review: 
I really enjoy books involving movies, stunts, and a bunch of things that I’ll likely never come close to. That made this book an instant grab for me. I was lucky enough to get an eARC through Netgalley from the publisher. I have complicated feelings about this book. There were certain things that I thought worked very well, but then there were other things that just didn’t work the same way.

The rock climbing was easily the best part of the book. It was clear that the author either knows climbing or put in a lot of effort to get the climbing as realistic as possible. It was descriptive without feeling overdone. It was very well balanced, and it makes me want to try my hand at a climbing gym.

The relationship between the two was kind of “eh” at best. I really enjoyed them at the beginning. I thought it was cute and I really do like instant attraction stories. The problem that I had was that there never seemed to be any actual time devoted to developing the relationship between the two. I don’t mind stories where a relationship starts very early in the book, I just need there to be something else. These two characters didn’t really grow together or go through things with each other. Also, they were cute at the beginning but then it felt like their spark died at some point.

The storyline is another point of contention with me. I thought that the actual plot layout was pretty good, but it didn’t seem to live up to what it could have been. The AZM plot could have been interesting and added another layer of drama to the story, but it just didn’t do that for me. Same with the ex-girlfriend plotline. Both could have added interesting elements if they had been given better, fully fleshed out plots, but as they are they just felt like they dragged the story down.

This was a decent book. It’s not amazing, but I’m not annoyed that I’ve read it. This appears to be a debut novel by this author, and I hope to read more from her in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...