Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Wednesday, August 11, 2021


Review: Times of Our Lives

Times of Our Lives Times of Our Lives by Jane Waterton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on August 10, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: The Tupperware party, hands down



I picked this book up for the sole reason of it taking place in a retirement community. I don’t often find books that portray older women, and I was instantly intrigued, especially since it wasn’t focused on just one couple.
    
In Australia there is OWL Haven. OWL stands for Older Wiser Lesbians and it’s a retirement community made entirely of lesbians. It was created to give them a safe space where they could be themselves without worry. Meg and Allie have been friends for 40 years and they are each other’s first priority. Pat and Bella have been in a relationship for almost 50 years even when they had to keep it hidden. Sparrow has avoided relationships after her last heartbreak. Daphne’s a loner who starts to lose control of that after moving to OWL.

This book was absolutely excellent and there’s a lot to love, but the best part is the characters. These women are fun and embody the idea of “aging with grace”. I was so invested in all of these characters and their relationships. These characters have flaws, but they also have a support system to help them with their issues. Also, I want any and all of these women as my grandmother. Just…family goals.

Something I really appreciated was Sparrow and Daphne. Daphne is ex-military while Sparrow likes to knit. I know that it’s my own preconception, but I originally thought that Daphne would be the more feminine one and Sparrow would be more butch. It was a nice twist, at least to me. Plus I really love the relationship that built between the two. I wish there had been more time spent with them, but it was refreshing to see two people who haven’t know each other for decades fall in love. No one is too old for love.

One of the things that I really enjoyed about this author is that she didn’t shy away from the intimacy between these characters. A lot of people have the mindset that once someone hits a certain age, intimacy just ends. Waterton did a really good job at showing intimacy between these characters and making it clear that these characters still maintain a sex drive despite age. It’s refreshing and amazing. I loved that these characters clearly loved each other and wanted each other and that they weren’t ashamed of it or too old for it.

I will admit that I was worried during several parts of this book. Not in a bad way, but some of these women have medical issues. None of it felt forced, all of it was either pre-established or necessary to help move the story along. Even if it wasn’t forced, I still spent time being tense and worried that something was going to happen to one of these women.

I thought that this book was absolutely wonderful and I'll likely read it again. There's not a whole lot of drama and most of it is resolved easily. I especially loved that it featured a group of people I don't often get to read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...