Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Tuesday, August 31, 2021


Review: Rising from Ash

Rising from Ash Rising from Ash by Jax Meyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on August 27, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "But first Phoenix had to find her. And walk around the world. Talk about an eventful day!"


I had been wanting to read this book for a couple months and got so excited when I was finally able to. It’s a sapphic romance with an ace-spectrum (demisexual, specifically) character.
    
Phoenix is done with her life right now. Her father is a beggar, and her boss is incompetent. When her aunt offers her a job at the South Pole, she accepts. While she’s there she meets Ash. Ash is focusing on her PhD research while also hoping to pad her resume in case she ever gets the chance to become a Mars colonist. The two clash at first with Ash’s formality triggering Phoenix’s insecurities. But neither of them really has anywhere else to go, especially because they’re both staying over winter, so they try to make amends.

I thought this book was absolutely brilliant. The descriptions were beautiful and allowed for me to visualize the areas that they were in. I usually struggle with being able to visualize things, but I didn’t have too big of an issue with this book. I think it’s because the book didn’t take place in a lot of different areas. I doubt my visualization was perfect or in-depth, but I was able to get enough from it. Plus, Meyer’s descriptions of the weather and environment was amazing.

The absolute best thing with this book was the relationship between Phoenix and Ash. The relationship was slow and well-built. The two actively discussed areas that were touchy subjects with them and had actual conversations with each other. Things aren’t always perfect, but there’s not a lot of drawn-out drama. It was amazing, especially when they had to deal with Ash being asexual and Phoenix being allosexual.

I really enjoyed Ash being asexual and Phoenix being allosexual. That sounds weird but let me explain. Because of this difference between the two characters, they had to discuss these topics. At time it felt like a bit much, but not really. It made sense within the context that Ash would have to give “lessons” on being asexual. I also just really enjoy the conversations because Ash also explained the difference between being asexual and demisexual, at least for her.

I also really enjoyed the pacing of this book. Nothing felt too slow, but nothing felt rushed either. The characters and their relationship were given time to grow together. It’s a slow-burn so there’s not going to be a lot going on at all times, but there doesn’t need to be. There’s always something going on that keeps it from feeling slow.

I really wanted to like this book when I first read the summary and I’m so excited that I did. I thought it was absolutely amazing and I grew really attached to these characters. I can’t wait to see them in the next book.

Bonus Favorite Quote: "I'm not going to spend the whole winter here with you, knowing I kept you from your girlfriend when there wasn't a good reason. Especially when said girlfriend cooks my food."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...