Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Sunday, May 30, 2021


Review: The Prince and the Dressmaker

The Prince and the Dressmaker The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on May 29, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: The fashion show



I’ve been wanting to read this book for a couple of years now, but for some reason or another I always avoided it. I picked it up from my library this past week or so and it’s one of the better decisions that I’ve ever made.
    
Frances works as a dressmaker and is assigned to make a dress for a girl who is attending Prince Sebastian’s ball. Sebastian sees the dress and wants to hire Frances as his personal dressmaker. Sebastian is a prince with a secret: he likes to wear dresses at night. With the help and support of Frances he goes out as Lady Crystallia. Lady Crystallia quickly garner attention as a fashion icon. Problems arise when situations force Sebastian to admit that he needs to keep this a secret, and Frances wants nothing more than to be noticed.

I really loved this book. Frances and Sebastian are great characters. Both are likeable with realistic situations and drama surrounding them. It was great watching Sebastian come out of his shell as Lady Crystallia. It’s sweet to watch the two interact in situations where they both are comfortable and free to be themselves. Also, Sebastian’s gender never appears to be locked down as something in particular. I quite liked that. It leaves it open for there to be some genderfluidity for Sebastian.

My favorite part of this book is the show towards the end. It’s just so beautiful and pure. Also, the dress designs in this book are amazing. I adored it. They are gorgeous dresses and I love the creativity that went into them.

I don’t think I could find a bad thing to say about this book. The worst thing I have is that I wish there were more. I love these characters and their situations, and I really wish the book had been much longer.

I always find myself without a lot to say about graphic novels. What I can say about this one is read it. It’s beautiful and I love it. I would recommend this book to anyone who asked, so consider this me recommending it to you.

Bonus Favorite Quote: "Some days I look at myself in the mirror and think, 'That's me, Prince Sebastian! I wear boy clothes and look like my father.' Other days it doesn't feel right at all. Those days I feel like I'm actually...a princess."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...