Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Tuesday, April 13, 2021


Review: White Wings Weeping

White Wings Weeping White Wings Weeping by Lesley Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Finished on April 13, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "You know I think you’re all certifiably crazy, don’t you?" 
"Then you’re in good company, aren’t you?"


This is the third book in Lesley Davis’ Wings series, and I highly recommend reading these books in order so that you have a full understanding of what’s going on.

This is probably my least favorite of the series. It’s well-written and intriguing, don’t get me wrong, but it’s a lot more focused on all the supernatural stuff than on the romance.
    
This book features Kieran and Merlo. Kieran is hospitalized after yet another failed suicide attempt and she’s planning what she has to say in order to get out of the hospital as soon as possible. Something is coming, she can see it, but no one believes her. Merlo is her doctor in the new facility. A woman with secrets, Merlo tries her best to help all her patients but something about Kieran is different. Something about Kieran doesn’t seem to fit into the situation. The two have to bond while fighting like hell to determine what Kieran’s dreams mean, and if they are really dreams.

I liked the characters well enough, and it was nice to see the characters from the previous installments return for this book. Merlo is a nice character, but it didn’t feel like there was much to her. Considering her background, I just feel like she should have been more than what she was. Kieran on the other was a great character and I quite like how she was portrayed. She’s had a rough couple of years, and it makes it so easy to want to see her come out of everything on top. I do regret that there wasn’t more time spent between the two to watch their relationship fully develop.

There are a couple of things that I personally didn’t like about this book. My first issue is the story of Merlo. While she has an interesting backstory and it adds another level to the world that Davis has created in these books, it just felt a bit out of left field. Dina made more sense to me than Merlo did. My other issue is about what we learn about Kieran, about what’s causing her dreams. I’m putting it behind a spoiler tag because it does have spoilers and it contains information about Kieran’s parentage. It felt unnecessary to have her be a third kid of Lucian. Ashley being his kid, sure. Him having had another kid with another woman, okay makes some sense. It just felt forced for him to have just so happened to have another kid who he can mentally connect with in order to show her the plans through his eyes. I just feel like her being the child of a different demon still could have worked, but who knows. I also don’t like that he got redemption. I’m not against it necessarily but just the fact that two of his kids struggled through years without him but it’s the third kid he suddenly wants to selflessly help. I might just be reading too much into that interaction, but it bothered me.

This is a good book for a finale, especially with the action, but the romance was more of a side story in this one than in the previous two books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...