Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Thursday, April 22, 2021


Review: Starstruck

Starstruck Starstruck by Lesley Davis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished reading on April 22, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Pity, I'm sure that gorgeous British voice would sound amazing screaming in a much more pleasurable context."

4.5/5

I got the urge to re-read this book after reading the sequel to it. I couldn’t remember a lot of this book so it felt good to re-read it. I quite enjoyed this book and even noticed something that I didn't notice in my first read through.
    
This book deals with Cassidy, an actress who is being stalked by a pretty persistent “fan”. This man is obsessed with her and convinced that the two of them have a relationship. When he finds where she lives, she goes to stay at a friend’s house which happens to be next door to Aiden. Aiden is a writer who absolutely adores all things nerdy. Her geek flag is flying high and she’s shocked when she finds Cassidy wet in her neighbor’s lawn. The two become friends but Cassidy is hesitant to do anything more due to her stalker.

I really liked this book. I didn’t think it was as great as In the Spotlight, but it was still great.
Cassidy and Aiden are easily likeable characters. Cassidy seems like the nice, excited friend who always tries to make people feel welcome. Aiden is more of the shy kid in the corner who loves to discuss her interests. She’s kind of adorable and I love her. She likes the idea of heroes and, at one point, considers the idea that her bad past might just have been her hero origin story.

The two characters were really cute together. It was nice to see Aiden provide a safe-space for Cassidy to relax while Cassidy helped bring Aiden out of her shell a little. The side characters, specifically Mischa, were amazing. I love Mischa to death and would love a friend like her.

We do spend time with our stalker so it’s not a mystery who it is. I’m not a fan of those parts but not because they’re poorly written. I just don’t like being stuck in the headspace of a creeper. I did notice something on my second read through though. When the stalker thinks of Cassidy, he references her as C.J. – her stage name. I thought that was a really nice touch. A way of showing that he doesn’t see her for herself but rather for who she is as an actress.

There is some stupid drama that feels forced and some side events that didn’t have to happen, but overall, it’s a good book. I quite enjoyed it and I would recommend anyone who’s interested in the sequel to read this one first. It’s not necessary but it helps to have some backstory to the characters present in the sequel.

Bonus Favorite Quote: "I promise I won't kiss and tell that just like Hollister, you like to be taken just as passionately as you like to take."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...