Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Saturday, March 27, 2021


Review: Royal Court

Royal Court Royal Court by Jenny Frame
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Finished on March 27, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "If you have the slightest chance to live and love, you have to grasp it with both hands, because you never know when it will be taken from you."

I’ve read many of Jenny Frame’s books and I think this book has to rank as one of my favorite works by Frame. By the second chapter I was attached to this book and I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep until I finished it.
    
Holly is the Royal Dresser for Queen Bea and she’s very good at ignoring her attraction to women after being burned by a first love. Quincy comes from the Royal Marines where she experienced trauma that no one should have experienced. The two are forced together when Quincy is hired as a protection officer for Queen Bea. The two can’t seem to agree on what it takes to protect the queen as well as getting on each other’s nerves for many other things. There’s chemistry between them but it’s not going to be easy with a threat around the corner.

I adore both characters. Holly is sweet and outgoing and a force to be reckoned with. She’s loyal and loving. I was a bit surprised by her character because in the previous stories I had assumed she was straight with a newfound interest in women, but this book says she’s known she’s bisexual for a while. I’m not against it, it kept me from having to deal with any possible coming out drama, I just wasn’t expecting it. I absolutely adore Quincy. She’s introverted and scarred and scared and flawed. She’s been taught to hide her feelings. She’s not the best at handling change. I love everything about her. I was immediately attached to her especially with how Frame writes her feelings. Quincy has so many feelings that she can’t allow herself to show, and Jenny Frame writes her conflicts of feeling and her frustrations so well.

I really enjoyed the conflict in this story. It was played well without being overdone or thrown in randomly. Things made sense and it was fun. I was constantly worried that the next chapter was going to hold something that I wasn’t going to want to read, something that was going to hurt one of the characters I liked. The drama also played really well in allowing Quincy and Holly grow together. It was a bit obvious, at least to me, who the threat was but it was still a compelling read.

I only had a couple of slight issues with this story. One is that the back and forth with Quincy’s feelings was a little annoying but thankfully it wasn’t dragged out forever and was handled well. It also made perfect sense with her character. I was also a little bothered by the ending just because it felt a bit rushed. I just feel like a couple more chapters that spanned a few months might have helped the ending feel less rushed.

As a side note, Story St. John interests me and I wouldn’t mind reading a book with her as a character.

I love Jenny Frame’s books and this one is no different. It’s a nice story with good development and interesting characters. If you want a royal romance story, read this one though you might have to read the previous two (at least the first one) to make sense of everything.

Bonus Favorite Quote: "Love you."
                      "That's quite a few times you've said                        that, so it must be true."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...