Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Wednesday, March 10, 2021


Review: Paper Love

Paper Love Paper Love by Jae
My rating: 4 of 5 stars 
Finished on March 10, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: "Maybe it was just her imagination, but as she plopped down on the couch, she thought the cat gave her an I-win-you-lose grin."

This is a cute book with an interesting story, but I just didn’t click with the story.
    
The main characters destined for love are Susanne Wolff and Anja Lamm (Wolf and lamb are amazing last names). Susanne is a business consultant who is sent by her mother to help her uncle with his business. She goes in determined not to allow personal feelings to affect her ability to work. On her first day she meets Anja, the only full-time employee of the shop. The two begin with a contentious relationship because of the role Anja perceives Susanne as playing in the business. The two are forced to work together and bond.

This is a good story and I really liked both characters but neither of them really clicked for me. I didn’t find either to be poorly written or lacking, I just didn’t connect with them. I really enjoyed the pure nerdiness that Anja exhibited about her passion for pens and journals and the like. It’s nice to see a character that clearly loves something with no shame. It’s not treated like a guilty pleasure or anything.

The two characters have a fun dynamic even when they don’t like each other, and it takes some outside forces to bring the two together. The scenarios that lead to them meeting and bonding felt good and solid, and I enjoyed watching a relationship bloom.

The book thankfully didn’t have much drama, if any, and it was a nice departure from other books I’ve read. This book is a sweet slow-burn (or as much slow-burn as you can get from roughly 250 pages) romance that allows both characters to truly be themselves with each other.

There are a few side characters mainly Uncle Nobby, Muesli, Miri, and Franzi. The characters are likeable and don’t take up too much space where they almost feel like another set of main characters you have to focus on. Miri and Franzi were an interesting pair, and I wouldn’t have minded reading a second book about them.

This is a good book written by a great author but it’s not one of my favorites. There’s nothing wrong with it per say but I didn’t fall into the story with this one like I do some others. It’s good for a nice, quick read if you want a HEA (or HFN at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...