Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Friday, October 22, 2021


Book Tour: MISSING WITCHES

 


Title: Missing Witches
Author: Risa Dickens and Amy Torok
Publication Date: March 23, 2021
     

Finish Date: October 15, 2021
Format: Physical
Rating: 5/5


Favorite Quote/Scene: 
Imbolc

Review: 
I will admit that I’m not usually a fan of nonfiction books, but the idea behind this book was too appealing to pass up. I don’t know much about Witches, but it’s often been something that has interested me, but I’ve just not done much reading on it. I hope I do well in explaining this book, but please take pity on me if I don’t. I’m trying my hardest but, especially because I’m not a Witch, I can’t profess to perfectly understand what was being spoken of.

This book is split up into 8 chapters. Each chapter talks about a different celebration involved in the Wheel of the Year. While there is a clear focus for these chapters, each chapter also tells the story of 1 or 2 Missing Witches. Missing Witches is a term used to speak of Witches (whether they used the term or not) from the past who have impacted Witches today.

This book was excellent! I will admit that I took the book in chunks, but that was mainly because that’s usually how I read nonfiction books. I don’t recall a time that I felt uninterested in what was being discussed. The authors did a great job at blending the histories of the Witches and the celebrations with their own personal stories. The personal stories helped keep things interesting while also allowing a brief insight into the authors’ personal lives and how they tie into the topics being discussed.

One of the things that I personally enjoyed while reading this book was the history of the various Missing Witches. The Witches differed in their histories and what they did with their lives, but they weren’t compared maliciously against one another. The authors didn’t try and pit them against each other or make the reader choose who better to strive towards. Rather the authors portrayed and illuminated pieces of each Witch that were worth striving towards, or worth avoiding.

That’s another thing I personally enjoyed. The authors didn’t stay away from the harsher realities of the Witches they discussed. They acknowledged that not every Witch was good and inclusive. They showcased their failings and debated whether their actions were right. There was, from my outsider perspective, no sugarcoating.

Just as a final note: I really appreciate how inclusive the authors were during the book. They often referenced LGBTQ+ Witches being in the community. Sometimes when talking about communities’ people like to assume that they are all cis, straight, and white. These authors never seemed to make that assumption.

I’m not going to really dig into specifics in this review. This is mainly meant to discuss the writing and format of the book, not to explain the 8 different celebrations. If you want to know more about those, I highly suggest checking out the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...