Ticker

powered by Surfing Waves

Wednesday, May 5, 2021


Review: Armchair Detective

Armchair Detective Armchair Detective by Kelli Jae Baeli
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Finished on May 5, 2021
Favorite Scene/Quote: Parking garage fight




I feel like I was reading a different book than some of the other reviewers. Maybe I was and I just don't know it. Some parts were somewhat decent but other parts felt unnecessary and dragged on for longer than needed.
    
Jobeth is a private investigator, of sorts. She doesn’t have the official license, but she practices on the side. She also works a paper route in order to afford rent. Phoebe was one of the house’s she hits on her route and the two formed an attachment to each other. When things start getting rougher with her investigation and home life, Jobeth decides that Phoebe is the best person to turn to.

Jobeth is an interesting character. I wish there had been more development of her and more impact from her past, but she seems intriguing. She’s determined to be an investigator but something in her past is holding her from making that final step. I didn’t really care for her though. That doesn’t mean she’s bad, I just didn’t make an attachment to any of the characters for the most part. I do want to learn more about Ginger Grant, but that’s just because she was only introduced at the end and I’m intrigued.

I like the action and investigative parts of this story. It was interesting. I wanted to learn more about the salon’s owner and her clients. This book had nice action scenes that worked to keep me engaged and interested in the story while, at the same time, not making me overly concerned with whether Jobeth was going to survive.

The other parts just didn’t give me that though. I didn’t much care for the romance between the two characters because Phoebe didn’t feel three-dimensional to me and the romance didn’t feel earned. It just felt like something slapped on top because the two characters didn’t seem to spend a lot of time bonding together or anything similar. I also couldn’t really get into the landlady plot or the Major’s purpose. It just dragged on to me and I had to push myself to get through the book.

This was a decent book. The investigation and action is fun, but the rest just didn’t drag me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: SNOWBLOODED by Emma Sterner-Radley

  Book Details Title : Snowblooded Author : Emma Sterner-Radley Publisher : Solaris Publication Date : May...